Inspiring Women (in books)

In honour of International Women's Day (March 8) I'm listing some of the books that have inspired me over the years - by women and about women.
If I have the gumption I may even be able to give you reasons that explain my choices.


Caddie Woodlawn - pioneering girl with lots of spunk
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder - the Christmas they were snowed in and knew there would be no gifts. Then Mr Edwards (?) fought his way through the snow to their cabin and gave them an orange each. Think it taught me about appreciating small things.
Little Women - by Louisa May Alcott - loved Jo and Beth, was never sure which one I wanted to be, which explains a lot about me.
The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom - yes there is real evil in the world. Can it win ultimately? Not when trusting in God and the power of forgiveness overrules.
The Road to Coorain and True North by Jill Kerr Conway - loved the trajectory of her Australian childhood and identity. Loved even more her bravery and comittment to achieving her intellectual potential and happiness.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - from the red room through to her running away from her thwarted marriage to returning to love Mr Rochester on her own terms. I will love Jane forever.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - lizziebennett gives one hope that girls can still have brains, be outspoken and fall in love with someone who appreciates them for all of that (oh and he must be dashing).
Esther - the Bible - courageous and determined, faithful and wise. Esther captured my imagination and heart from an early age. Hence have always believed that God uses women as an integral part of his saving plan.
My Brilliant Career - Miles Franklin - Australian feisty heroine not afraid to be different and find her own way in the world.
Maya Angelou - God gives women the inner strength to rise above their circumstances, the expectations of others, even of their own fears to have a not perfect but rich and wondrous life.
Rose Scott - discovered her in my uni days and couldn't believe in 13 years of schooling I had never heard of this great political warrior and tireless advocate for the rights and welfare of women. Seriously NSW education dept? This is not okay!
Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery - who doesn't want to be Anne? To know your own voice and heart is a precious thing. To be strong enough not to be poisoned by bitterness. To take joy in the beauty of nature and to make the everyday special. 
Seven Little Australians - Ethel Turner - I may never get over the death of Judy. Just saying.

... There's plenty more but I don't want to bore you with just my choices.

Tell me what books have inspired you?! I'd love to know..

Comments

Popular Posts