These Books are Made for Reading

 I've been experimenting with Christmassy effects on photos. Cheesy huh!

Are you a fan of the personalised Christmas card? I'm undecided. I like the fact that at Christmas time (as with the Santa photo) you can get an updated picture of what everyone looks like. But it still sits slightly uneasily with me, in that it seems to take the focus off the real meaning of Christmas.. I guess putting a photo inside a card rather than a photo on the outside, is just a small distinction... hmm, still unsure.


I haven't listed any books in a while, so here's some ideas taken from the Chronicle Books website. Located in San Francisco, this publishing company has never been afraid to mix quirky with quality. I don't love everything they print, but there's plenty of exceptional stuff to like!
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/

I had to read this title about 3x before I worked out what i think it means. I'm more interested at the moment in How to Have my First Child Fourth - but I'm guessing it's probably too late once the child in question has already been born? Still, I'd recommend this book to anyone who hasn't yet had kids (the target audience, as noted on the cover); because frankly, once you've had some, it becomes abundantly clear that (personality wise) they are what they are and it's pretty darn hard to change them!  Published 2010; By Kerrie Colburn and Rob Sorensen

The Life and Love of Trees is full of the most wonderful images of remarkable trees. With over 150 colour photographs capturing what is described as "the charming and familiar to the scary and rare"! This book is artwork combined with some insightful text by Lewis Blackwell, who for ten years led the world-renowned Getty Images, and has become increasingly known for his interest and expertise in environmental matters.
Published 2009; text by Lewis Blackwell

And now one for the kids (or maybe not): If you're a dinosaur, all of your friends are dead. If you're a pirate, all of your friends have scurvy. If you're a tree, all of your friends are end tables. Each page of this laugh-out-loud illustrated humor book showcases the downside of being everything from a clown to a cassette tape to a zombie. Cute and dark all at once, this hilarious children's book for adults teaches valuable lessons about life while exploring each cartoon character's unique grievance and wide-eyed predicament. From the sock whose only friends have gone missing to the houseplant whose friends are being slowly killed by irresponsible plant owners (like you), All My Friends Are Dead presents a delightful primer for laughing at the inevitable.
Published 2010; by Avery Monsen and Jory John

Nomad - by Sydney stylist Sybella Court is the latest offering from this style queen who has had a fine career in interior decorating and general style setting in the USA and Australia. Her shop The Society Inc is located in Paddington, and one day when I muster the energy I may even get there to take a look. Her previous book, ETC was beautifully produced and a fabulous showcase of Court's eclectic bower bird look. She makes people who have hoarding tendencies (like me) feel better about themselves because her collections leave ours for dead! This book looks equally attractive, and has a travelling element, which should broaden its appeal. Go forth and buy it I say!
NOMAD: A Global Approach to Interior Style
by Sybella Court, photographs by Chris Court

And if all that reading/buying/perusing has left you exhausted, I can strongly recommend a good old fashioned box of Darrell Lea's Assorted Peppermint Carton. It's STILL only $7.95 and is a very effective pick-me-up together with a hot cup of tea.  http://www.dlea.com.au/
e n j o y !

Comments

Popular Posts